We trace our roots back nearly 70 years to a traditional accounting firm. We've evolved and today
How we evolved is a somewhat interesting story.
In the late 90's, we began to see a trend; finance departments struggled to keep up with the demands being placed on them. When we interviewed finance teams we heard that either:
1) they had not found the best solutions to enable efficiency gains, or
2) they had purchased software but,
We investigated with numerous clients to understand why this occurred and found the following...
1) Technology - The finance team
2) Accounting - Depending on the size of the organization, they often had few or no designated accountants as part of the team implementing the tools. All too often those with accounting expertise were completely committed to other critical tasks that could not be delayed. This resulted in selection/configuration decisions that were not optimized for the accounting requirements of the organization.
3) Domain - To choose and implement the right systems requires a thorough understanding of how the organization works and how the finance department can best work with other departments. Frequently the finance department was so ensconced in their approach to a process that it was challenging for them to step back and think about alternate, better approaches.
4) Time - finance departments had so much work to do they had little time to focus on finding better, more efficient processes, let alone the time to implement it properly.
In short, we determined that many finance departments did not have the necessary expertise in three key areas and universally lacked the time to dedicate to ensuring they received maximum value from their IT solution.
We took these observations and assembled our team to bridge the gap between finance and technology. We implement, integrate and optimize industry-leading tools & best practices to evolve our client's finance function.
Grandpa Black's firm, F.H. Black & Company Chartered Accountants was formed in 1950 with offices in Fort William and Port Arthur, Ontario as well as Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Harry Black (grandson) founds F.H. Black & Associates, specializing in assisting finance departments to understand the complexities of the newly-implemented Goods & Services Tax (GST)
Jamie Black joins his brother Harry. The firm formally changes name to F.H. Black & Company and reinstitutes Grandpa's firm's style & brand. The focus of the firm is traditional accounting, bookkeeping & tax.
Already focussing on improving finance department efficiency, the firm reviews and selects CaseWare Working Papers as the best solution for automating complex, standardized reporting tasks.
By 2000 the firm has grown. Our team has expanded and we have begun rendering a full range of services to finance departments including systems needs analysis, ERP implementation, custom application development, training and support.
FHB partners with Tableau Software to enable our finance department clients to perform ad-hoc analysis and create dashboards, to more effectively understand and communicate complex business insights.
To better service clients in numerous time zones, as well as attract and retain the best talent, FHB implements full remote-work policy enabling complete flexibility to live and work where it best suits the individual.
To focus entirely on finance department improvement, Jamie & Harry found F.H. Black & Company Incorporated. The accounting firm continues to provide traditional accounting services to small and medium size businesses.
F.H. Black & Company Incorporated partners with Questica Budget to develop a one-click integration with CaseWare Working Papers and provide an automated GFOA Distinguished Budget Book award-compliant solution for their users.