We trace our roots back nearly 70 years to a traditional accounting firm. We've evolved and today
How we evolved is a somewhat interesting story.
In the late 90's, we began to see a trend; finance departments struggled to keep up with the demands being placed on them. When we interviewed finance teams we heard that either:
1) they had not found the best solutions to enable efficiency gains, or
2) they had purchased software but,
We investigated with numerous clients to understand why this occurred and found the following...
1) Technology - The finance team were not information technology (IT) experts. Thus the benefits that technology could provide was not apparent to them or they were intimidated by technology. For those that did see the opportunity IT promised, technology knowledge was necessary to evaluate, select, install, configure, utilize and integrate IT solutions with existing systems to realize the maximum benefits.
2) Accounting - Depending on the size of the organization, they often had few or no designated accountants as part of the team implementing the tools. All too often those with accounting expertise were completely committed to other critical tasks that could not be delayed. This resulted in selection and configuration decisions that were not optimized to deal with the intricacies of the accounting requirements of the organization.
3) Domain - To choose and implement the right systems means needing to have a thorough understanding of how the organization works and how the finance department can best work with other departments. Frequently the finance department was so ensconced in their approach to a process that it was challenging for them to step back and think about alternate, better approaches.
4) Time - finance departments had so much work to do they had little time to focus on finding better, more efficient processes, let alone the time to implement it properly.
In short, we determined that many finance departments did not have the necessary expertise in three key areas and universally lacked the time to dedicate to ensuring they received maximum value from their IT solution.
We took these observations and built our team to solve this problem for our clients and move their finance department into the future.
We implement, integrate and optimize industry-leading tools & best practices to evolve our client's finance function.
Grandpa Black's firm, F.H. Black & Company Chartered Accountants was formed in 1950 with offices in Fort William, Ontario, Port Arthur, Ontario and Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Harry Black (grandson) founds F.H. Black & Associates
Jamie Black joins Harry. The firm formally changes name to F.H. Black & Company and reinstitutes Grandpa's firm's style & brand. The focus of the firm is traditional accounting, bookkeeping & tax.
Jamie Black becomes the CaseWare Certified consultant & trainer for Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
By 2000 the firm has grown. Our team has expanded and we have begun rendering a full range of IT consulting services including systems needs analysis, ERP implementation, custom application development, training and support. FHB becomes the CaseWare certified trainer & consultant for Alberta.
FHB implements full remote-work policy enabling complete flexibility to live and work where it best suits the individual.
Jamie & Harry found F.H. Black & Company Incorporated.
F.H. Black & Company Incorporated partners with Questica Budget to provide an automated budget book solution for their users.